Friday, February 1, 2013

The American secretary who became king: A woman's journey to royalty


 

Because it reads like a post-modern fairy tale, I had to share this in case you missed it. Of course, the story is popping up everywhere, book and movie rights included. I did say post-modern, didn't I? Marriage not required to become royalty either. From The American secretary who became king: A woman's journey to royalty:

"It never ever occurred to me [that I'd be Otuam's king]," says Bartels, who's been living in the United States since her early 20s. "I realized that on this earth, we all have a calling. We have to be ready to accept it because helping my people has really helped me a lot to know that I can really touch their lives," she adds. "I would have really regretted it if I hadn't really accept this calling."
Although she still works at the Ghanaian Embassy, Bartels uses all her holiday every year to spend a month in Otuam. King is the traditional title of Otuam's ruler, and Bartels says she's happy to be called a king, rather than queen, because it means she can achieve more.
"Most of the time, a king is the one who has all the executive power to do things, while the queen is mostly in charge of the children's affairs and reporting to the king," she says. "So I really love this."

2 comments:

  1. That's a fascinating story! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this story brings back memories of how, as a seven or eight-year-old, my mind grappled with the realization that historically the title of prince/princess was not synonymous with the child of the king and queen, and that not all princes became kings!

    ReplyDelete