Monday, September 17, 2012

New Release: The Twelve Dancing Princesses and Other Fairy Tales (Calla Editions)




The Twelve Dancing Princesses and Other Fairy Tales (Calla Editions) is another new release from Calla Editions. This, my dear readers, is one of my favorite books from the Golden Age of Fairy Tale illustration. I adore Kay Nielsen's illustration work, perhaps in part because it is so unexpected for me to love it. And this book is worth owning for The Twelve Dancing Princesses alone but then you get extra French fairy tales!Illustrated! By Kay Nielsen! How many more exclamation points do you really want from me on a Monday morning?!

And if you love this one, don't miss East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North (Calla Editions) either. Because then you get East of the Sun and West of the Moon! Illustrated by Kay Nielsen! (I could do this all day so I'll try to stop the enthusiastic punctuation now.)

Twelve Dancing Princesses Image 1 by Nielsen

Book description:

Twenty-three exotic color illustrations in the Art Nouveau style complement a noted folklorist's masterful retellings of traditional fairy tales in a splendid hardcover edition. Seven tales of enchantment include "Minon-Minette," "Felicia, or The Pot of Pinks," "Rosanie, or The Inconstant Prince," "The Man Who Never Laughed," "John and the Ghosts," "The Czarina's Violet," and the title tale.

Twelve Dancing Princesses Image 4 by Nielsen

And for all of you not already in the know: Kay Nielsen was a man. And his first name rhymes with "high" not "hay." I hear it mispronounced all the time--well, the rare times his name is said in my presence. I am a horrible name and pronunciation person, but this one I can get right!

No comments:

Post a Comment