Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Fairy Tale Year!


Happy New Year, dear readers!

I don't have much to say other than I am grateful for all of you. I don't have profound words and I gave up New Year's Resolutions years ago, although I make plenty of resolutions throughout the year. I have enjoyed many of the holiday wishes and greetings this year, but I admit one stuck and I had to share in case you missed it. This is from Neil Gaiman's journal, just yesterday, but it is a wonderful sentiment and very liberating when the year feels fresh with no new mistakes in it.

And for this year, my wish for each of us is small and very simple.

And it's this.

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.
So, yes, perhaps if I were to allow myself to make a resolution today, it would be a resolution to make mistakes, because they are inevitable if we are striving and learning and just simply trying, aren't they?

And the image is from KingBarbarossa on DeviantArt, originally part of a greeting card line from Duirwaigh Studios.

2 comments:

  1. I really love that resolution. I actually heard one of the Disney producers, too, say that the most important thing he could do was schedule time for the animators to be able to make mistakes. I think we underestimate mistakes and overestimate perfection.

    ReplyDelete